Resonance

Friday, October 20, 2006

Diwali.. and many miles from home..

So this is the one time of the year that I miss home the most.. and I guess understandably so.. It being Diwali..

This is probably going to sound pretty geeky.. but I used to sit and paint diyas every year.. and every year there was a different color scheme.. once it was copper and bronze with mirror work on it so that the light from each one would reflect off of the other.. One year it was an orange, red and yellow color scheme..

And each year to complement the diyas.. there would be rangoli.. made with colored rice and marigold flowers.. in the driveway and the staircases.. each person was given strict instruction to be careful and walk so that they wouldn’t step on my labor of love.. and each year someone would step on something.. and try and fix it before I realized what had happened!

I used to go to the factory every year with my grandfather, father and chachu to do the puja.. I used to be the one separating the crackers for home and the factory and how all the workers would wait for the Puja to get done so they could light all the crackers..

I remember as a kid how I used to hide behind my grandfather with my ears closed because I was scared of those same crackers that I had chosen in the 1st place!

After coming home.. I would be ushered into the shower and I would wear my new outfit for the Puja at home.. How I looked forward to that one new Lehanga every year! My mom always chose new bed spreads for my room every year..

The Puja was always beautiful with 108 Diyas and chants and all the younger people touching the elders’ feet for blessings.. and then .. then then then.. the yummiest meal would be served which we all anxiously awaited!

So.. yes.. amidst the diwali parties, crackers, holidays from school, pujas, visiting people, food, crackers, rangolies and painted diyas.. Diwali.. was my most magical season.. and favorite part of the year..

2 Comments:

  • Happy Diwali Ridhu ! !
    May you cherish such fond memories from home every year ! !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 PM  

  • just to rub it in...
    I experienced this wonderful sight at home this year. sorry no interest in painting diyas and rangoli for me... but yeah those 'very sumptuous' meals, the pujas... the cards parties and the whole festive mood... just made my trip back worth a million dollars.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home