Resonance

Monday, August 28, 2006

Weddings and more!

Just got back from Jyoti Di's wedding in Albany..

I don't know why but this one was a very emotional ceremony for me.. maybe cause she's like a big sister..

I walked into her room before the ceremony to see Mamiji (her mom) in tears.. tears of happiness for her daughter and tears of sorrow.. for the daughter who was now, not her's alone.. She was probably remembering the first time she must have held her infant daughter in her arms.. she named her Jyoti because she said this one is going to be the light of my eyes..

I went to tie the threads of the kalire on Jyoti Di's bangles when I saw her properly for the 1st time myself.. a beautiful bride in red.. vibrant, happy.. and I knew why her mom was in tears.. As my own eyes misted over I told her how beautiful she looked and in that moment silently wished for all the happiness in the world for her.. and walked off needing a moment alone..

She looked so happy, anticipating the new life awaiting her.. with the person who had come to mean so much to her.. had fulfilled the many roles of friend, fiance and now husband.. I realised then how beautiful it must be to marry a person you truly love.. to share moments.. happy or sad.. to build a life and a world together..

That world in which they stepped into together amidst our ancient shlokas and thousands of blessings..

At the end of the ceremony the priest asked everyone to give their blessings to Sandeep and Jyoti Varma.. Jyoti Varma??? It hit me then.. wow.. her identity had changed in that one moment.. her parents had done the Kanya Daan.. The biggest sacrifice you can make, but one made so lovingly..

Under a shower of flowers and blessings, the new couple walked down the aisle into their new life.. into their new world..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home