Resonance

Monday, August 14, 2006

Who is the one with the handicap..?

I just read a blog on someone’s website that brought back a memory from a day almost 7 years ago..

I have always felt that out of all physical handicaps, being blind is the most traumatizing… At a young age I had decided that when I die I will donate my eyes to someone..

A couple of years back, I was still in school then.. I think 11th grade.. A blind man came to our school to sell candles.. How ironical was that in itself that he would probably never know what the light of a candle would look like.. that even though his life was immersed in complete darkness, he was trying to illuminate other people’s lives..

No one would hold his hand to direct him to the principle’s office because he was poor and I guess no one wanted to touch him.. I too was probably one of those people who watched him helplessly trying to find his way around.. In doing so, when he almost bumped into a wall, I lost it then held his hand and directed him to wherever he needed to go.. I went around telling everyone that If they had any money to please buy candles from him and then once I had told as many people as I could I walked of.. and then I cried..

I sobbed on my friend’s shoulder at his plight and misery.. Even then I wondered why this incident had affected me so.. why was I crying for a person I didnt know and would probably never see again..

After reading Kaumudi’s blog today about her experience at a blind school, it brought back that day for me, from 7 years ago and I realized that I wasn’t crying for him.. I was crying for myself.. for my sheer helplessness.. for how inhuman people can get that they wouldn’t hold a blind man’s hand and guide him in the direction that he needs to go in..

Who is better of then I wonder.. them who cant see the word outside.. or us who cant even see the light within..

2 Comments:

  • Rids - its funny how they say we get blinded in love ..looks like most of us have a pretty hard time seeing otherwise too dont we ?1
    Kau

    By Blogger Kau, at 5:42 AM  

  • Rids - they say we get blinded in love ..most of us have a hard time seeing otherwise too dont we ?!
    Kau

    By Blogger Kau, at 5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home